Wildlife Rescue Insurance Cover
1. The Wildlife Rescue Australia insurance policy provides for Public Liability up to $20 million and for Personal Accident up to $100,000.
2. The policy covers anyone engaged in animal rescues on behalf of Wildlife Rescue Australia, regardless of whether they are a member of WRA or not (provided, of course, the rescuer acts responsibly and with due care).
3. In the words of our insurance broker “The [WRA] policy will respond to a situation where you have to turn to a member of the public to help out with the rescue of an animal. Even if this person is not a member of the organisation they would be classed as a volunteer for the exercise and therefore would be covered under the public liability and Personal Accident policies Wildlife Rescue has taken out. In fact any person who helps your organisation whether its just for the day or a specific event would be classed as a volunteer and covered under your insurance policies”.
4. Thus, with the above provisos, the following persons are covered by the WRA insurance:
• a member of the public transporting an animal to a vet or licensed carer;
• a shooter who holds a Firearm Licence used solely for the purpose of animal welfare so long as they comply with all statutory and licensing requirements with respect to storage, possession and use of their firearm;
• a person (WRA member or otherwise) climbing a ladder to rescue a possum, bird etc;
• a person rescuing a snake, provided the person is suitably qualified; and
• anyone handling a bat (incl. flying fox), provided the person in inoculated against lyssavirus.